1. Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri (ra) reported that the Prophet (saw) said in the Farewell Pilgrimage: "May Allaah make bright and verdant a man who heard my words and memorised them. As perhaps a carrier of knowledge is not one who understands. There are three things which, if present in the heart of a believer, no jealousy or rancour will enter into it: sincere action for the sake of Allaah, giving advice to the leaders of the Muslims and staying amongst their ranks, since their supplication encompasses those who are behind them (under their authority)".
2. Mis'ab bin Sa'd reports about his father that he thought he had superiority over the other companions of the Messenger of Allaah (saw). So the Prophet (saw) said, "Indeed Allaah helps this ummah with its weak ones, due to their supplications, their prayers and their sincerity."
3. Abu Dardaa' (ra) reports that Allaah's Messenger (saw) said: "The world is cursed (and) whatever is in it as cursed except that by which Allaah's Face is sought".
4. Ubayy bin K'ab (ra) said: "Allaah's Messenger (saw) said: "Give good tidings to this ummah of honour, deen and elevation and establishment in the earth. Whoever did an action of the Hereafter for the world will have no portion in the Hereafter".
5. 'Abdullaah bin 'Umar (ra) said "I heard Allaah's Messenger (saw) say, "Whoever made the people hear about his actions. Allaah will make all His creation hear about him, will belittle him and hold him in contempt."
6. Allaah's Messenger (saw) said: "There is no servant who sets out seeking to be heard of or showing off except that Allaah will make him heard of in front of all the creation on the Day of Judgement".
7. Rabeeh bin 'Abdur-Rahmaan reports from his grandfather, Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri, that he said: "We went out with Allaah's Messenger (saw) and we were talking about Maseeh ad-Dajjaal. Allaah's Messenger (saw) said, "Shall I not inform you about something which I fear more for you than Maseeh ad-Dajjaal?" We said, "Of course, O Messenger of Allah". He said, "The hidden shirk! A man stands for prayer and beautifies his prayer to those who are watching him.""
8. Mahmood bin Lubayd (ra) said: "Allaah's Messenger (saw) came out with us and said: "O people! Beware of the shirk of the innermost feelings and secrets." They said, "O Messenger of Allaah! What is the shirk of the innermost feelings and secrets?" He (saw) said, "A man stands for prayer and strives to beautify his prayer due to the people looking at him - that is the shirk of the innermost feelings and secrets."
9. Mahmood bin Lubayd also reports that Allaah's Messenger (saw) said, "The thing which I fear for you most is minor shirk." They (the people) said: "And what is minor shirk, O Messenger of Allaah?" He said: "Riya'! Allaah the Mighty and Majestic will say, when He rewards people for their actions: "Go to those to whom you used to show off in the world and see if you can find any reward from them".
10. He (saw) also said, "When Allaah gathers together the first and the last for the Day of Judgement, the day about which there is no doubt, a caller will call: "Whoever used to associate anyone with Allaah in his action, let him request his reward from him. Indeed, Allaah is so Self-Sufficient that He has no need of any partners.""
11. Abu 'Ali, a man from Banu Kaalil, said, "Abu Moosa al-Ash'ari addressed us and said, "O people! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant." 'Abdullah ibn Hazm and Qays bin al-Madaarib both stood and said, "By Allah! You should clarify what you have said, otherwise we shall bring 'Umar with authority on our behalf or without it". He then said, "Rather I will explain to you what I said. Allaah's Messenger (saw) addressed us one day and said, "O People! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant." Then someone whom Allaah had willed to speak said: "And how shall we save ourselves from it when it is more hidden than a crawling ant, O Messenger of Allaah?". He said, "Say "Allahumma inna na'oodhu bika min an nushrika bika shay'an na'alamuhu wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'alamuh [O Allah! We seek refuge in You from associating partners with you while we are aware of it and we seek forgiveness from You for that which we are unaware of]".